Happy Fatty! Speaking of Fatty, mama finally got herself back to the gym for real this week. I belonged to a gym in Boston, but after the move I took my dear sweet time joining and eventually going back to the gym. And while I’ve been going for a few weeks, it’s time to get serious. Couch to 5K serious. That’s pretty serious. That’s post-partum body issue serious. So in addition to working out, we gotta clean up our act at home. Which is where quinoa comes in, and pasta promptly exits the room.
I’ve read about quinoa, the super grain, what have you. Sounded yucky. Besides, its Dr. Oz stamp of approval reeks of superiority. Also, I don’t know how to cook it.
Turns out, it’s super easy. Basically, if you would use pasta or rice, just substitute quinoa. So I’ve entered the realm of KEEN-WAHHH (and I say it just like that, cuz it’s fun). And I had some random ingredients on hand, so I threw together a random kinda meal that turned out, in Kase’s words, “Awesome”. Here we go:
3 links Turkey Italian Sausage, de-cased, crumbled
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 Cup Cooked Quinoa (follow directions according to package)
2 cups Chicken Broth
1 CupBaby Portabello Mushrooms
1 Clove Garlic, mashed and minced
1 can Diced Tomatoes, with juices
Jane’s Crazy Salt
1. In saucepan, cook quinoa according to package directions (I use chicken broth in place of water, as per Trader Joe’s instructions)
2. De-case and crumble turkey sausage, place in separate pan to brown. Add garlic.
3. Once sausage has mostly browned, add bell pepper and mushrooms to pan and allow to soften.
4. Once quinoa has cooked down with broth, add to pan with sausage, etc. and add tomatoes with juice. Allow to cook down. Season with Jane’s Krazy Salt or other seasoned salt.
5. Plate up and top with parmesan cheese (optional)